Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Rules for Remaining Positive Through Medical Challenges

Last week I started with my first piece of  advice for coping with difficult medical situations. What I said was don’t ask why it happened to you and don’t complain. There is always something worse.

This week my suggestion is to find something that makes you feel like a kid again. Not just to feel young, but to momentarily take you back to another time in your life.

Have you ever suddenly remembered the sights, sounds and even smells of a long passed time? It’s almost like a instance of deja vu.

For me, I’ve found that riding my bike can trigger these stored memories. Because I ride a
recumbent trike, I think it triggers this trip through time because I’m closer to the ground like I was when I was young and being low gives the illusion of speed, similar to when you were small and racing around on a bike.

What’s the benefit of this? It makes you feel good and puts a smile on your face. And anytime you’re smiling and feeling good, you’re beating any negative medical (or other) situations in your life.

You say you don’t want to ride a bike. No problem! But to feel this momentary time shift, you have to be doing something that strikes a chord and takes you back. Unfortunately, I can’t tell you what that action is for you. But think back to fun and happy memories from your childhood. What was it that you felt like you could do every day and not get tired of it because it just felt good? Try different things. Shake up those dusty memory files! 


If you found this helpful, please consider a donation to my Tour de Cure ride for the American Diabetes Association. You can do so by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment