Monday, August 4, 2014

Random thoughts during my first chemo session

by David Goldman

This time, I will not let a disease define me.
I am a husband.
I am a father.
I am a friend.
I am a web developer, computer geek, and a dog lover.
I love music, sports, reading and riding my trike.
These are what define me.
I did allow myself to be defined as a diabetic.
I was young and did not possess the capabilities to combat it from happening.
Now, I am older, wiser and more capable.
I've had surgery and when I am done with chemo, I will not consider myself a cancer survivor.
To me, a survivor sounds like someone who is less coming out than they were going in.
When I am done with this I will not be a survivor,
but I will be whole and complete: the same as I was before cancer.
I believe what doesn’t kill you does make you stronger
I will be stronger, wiser, and more appreciative.
I will be alive and I will still be a husband, father and everything I was before.
 And if I’m lucky, a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment