Sunday, July 17, 2011

Left Powerless

by David Goldman

A power outage. I imagine we have all lived through one or a dozen in our lives. Where I live, our power goes out on an average of about once every two years. I don’t have statistics to back this up; it just seems that way. And when it does go out, it’s usually only for a matter of hours which really isn’t a big deal. This past week though, was a whole new ballgame. We went almost three days with no electricity.  To be precise, 66 hours and 16 minutes, give or take 10 minutes. You may be thinking two days, 18 hours, and 20 minutes isn’t so bad, and you’d be right as long as it wasn’t you living through them. So how did I spend my three days of pioneer living? Read on … 

Monday, 8:00 a.m. – I’m in the shower and I can hear the storm outside. I’m thinking it must be a good storm if I can hear it in here. The moment this thought crosses my mind, the lights go out. The bathroom door is closed so it’s pitch black. Great. Fortunately by now I’m pretty familiar with my body parts and their placements so I can finish my shower. But shaving is definitely ruled out. My wife is off of work today and being a guy, my first answer to the what-are-we-going-to-do without lights question is of course, sex. Before I can broach the subject Debbie tells me she’s going to run errands. Must be that spousal, mind-reading trick she’s so damned good at. 

Monday, 9:00 a.m. – Still no power. Commonwealth Edison or Com Ed as they’re called, has an automated call line that tells you when to expect your service to resume. I know this because I’ve lived through enough outages to know the routine. I even have their number in my cell phone directory. I call and get a busy signal. This continues for the next two hours. I finally get through and start the automated process. I enter my home phone number, my name, my address and my preference to boxers or tighty-whiteys. Finally, I hear this from the automated attendant, “We have completed an analysis of the situation and have determined that your restoration time is …” What? How long? “… unknown. Thank you for calling Com Ed. And, you can access Com Ed on the web at w-w-w dot com ed dot com.” My first instinct is to shout into the phone, “How the hell am I supposed to access your web site if I don’t have electricity?” But I picture myself yelling at the computer at the other end of the line and decide against it. I figure this is probably going to go on for a while. I work from home and with no computer, I can’t work, so I take the dogs for a walk. 

Monday, 6:00 p.m. – I’m at dialysis and it turns out that most of the people there, staff and patients, are also powerless. We share stories about where we were when it happened, when are we getting the power back, and how odd life is without the background noise electricity provides. One nurse tells me that every time their power goes out her husband wants to have sex. I respond by telling her that when our power went out, my first thought was to see if there were any elderly neighbors who needed assistance.

I decide I’ll try to call Com Ed again. I enter all the critical data. Still no estimated restore time. 

Tuesday 3:00 a.m. – I’m tossing and turning in bed and I haven’t slept a wink. I’m so used to going to bed with the TV on that the complete silence is unsettling. It’s also unbearably hot by now. It was 90° today and all the cool air the AC had provided is long gone. The windows are open but there’s nothing even close to a breeze. I decide I’m going to go sit in the car with the air conditioner blowing. I tip toe past my sleeping wife and dog and make my way out to the car. Here I can listen to the radio and recharge my cell phone which is almost dead because I’ve been obsessively checking my email on it all day because I have nothing else to do.

I sit in the car listening to a discussion of whether or not a guitar that’s being auctioned off is the one Carl Perkins used on the recording of “Blue Suede Shoes”. Various experts and pundits weigh in with their theories and proclamations. I’m amazed at what I’ll accept as entertainment when I’m shut off from the rest of the world. 

Tuesday 9:00 a.m. – I’ve showered in the dark again and I’m ready to start my second day of doing nothing. Within a couple of hours I need to charge my phone yet again. I start the car, connect my phone, and let it run while I sit in a lawn chair on the porch where I can make sure nobody decides to drive off with the unattended car. I bring Homer & Frannie out on leashes to bide the time with me. I also have an iPad with the book I’m currently reading. Forty-five minutes later I’ve completed the book and because there’s no Internet connection, I can’t download another one. Instead, I start playing Battleship on the iPad. In the course of a mere four hours I work my way up from a lowly sailor to lieutenant commander, to captain! I sit back, aglow with the satisfaction of my achievement.

At 5:30 p.m. Com Ed has a restore time! My power will be back on at 10:00 p.m. Hallelujah! We go out for dinner and get home around 9:00. It’s still completely dark in the house but at least we know it’s only going to last for a couple more hours. 

Tuesday, 11:00 p.m. – The designated time comes and goes. Still, no lights. I wait an hour and call my friendly, automated voice at Com Ed. I properly answer the cavalcade of questions and hear, “the estimated time for restoration is … no estimated time” followed once again by the suggestion that I visit them on the web. Yes, they actually said the estimated time is no estimated time.

However At 12:30 a.m., Wednesday morning, my automated nemesis tells me our restoration time is 6:30 a.m. I fall asleep knowing that I have taken my last shower in the dark. 

Wednesday 5:45 a.m. – The temperature dropped so I slept well. I wake up, look at the clock, and realize the power will be back on in just 45 minutes! Silly, gullible, me. 6:30 a.m. slips in and out of existence with nary a trace. Com Ed’s phone lines are busy, most likely with other aggravated customers. At 8:00 a.m. I get through to the automated system. I go through all the steps again: name, phone number, and address. I’m asked to name a word that rhymes with “gulf”. I quickly realize it’s a trick question and assertively state, “No words rhyme with gulf!” The dejected robot voice tells me I am correct and the time for power restoration is now 11:00 p.m. that night.

I’m getting much better at doing nothing. At 4:00 p.m. I go to dialysis and find out that all the other people who had lost power now have it back. All that is, except me. But at least I’m hopeful that it will be back on late tonight.

Debbie picks me up from dialysis and we grab some dinner at a nearby restaurant that actually has electricity. I stare, open-mouthed at the electronic appliances all whirring and moving. We get home about 9:30, take our respective flashlights, and wait for the anointed time. 

Wednesday, 11:00 p.m. – Nothing. I’m still staring into the blackness. When I call Com Ed this time I’m connected to a live person. She tells me there’s no updated information. I ask if the problem is being worked on and she says that all the problems are being worked on. “So, is there is a crew working right now to get my power back?” I ask.

She replies, “I don’t know.” I tell her this really isn’t helpful information and she tells me I can check their web site for further information. I ask her if she’s joking and she seems insulted.

“Do you understand that I cannot check your web site because I’ve had no electricity for almost three days and therefore I have no way to access the web. She tells me that I can go to a library. I thank her for being particularly unhelpful and hang up.

Now I can’t sleep because I’m so agitated. I’m lying in bed devising a revenge strategy when, at 2:15 in the morning, the TV and bathroom lights come on. I hug my TV, bow down in homage to my clock radio, and kiss the air-conditioning vent. Our three day, camping in our own home experiment is over! I’m so excited I still can’t sleep, but I’m so overjoyed I don’t care.

Later in the morning I’m watching the local news and a field reporter is in a nearby area that’s still without power. She’s winding up the story and, as an addendum, she notes that in a recent customer satisfaction survey, Com Ed ranked 112th out of 124 Midwestern utility companies.

Clearly they’re working hard on grabbing that 124th position.

No comments:

Post a Comment